Thursday, January 8, 2009

Tunnel Vision

I was talking with my good buddy Zac online the other night. Zac, like myself, is 24 and almost 2 years removed from college. We were talking about how this time in our lives is the most ordinary it has ever been. I always imagined myself living the bachelor lifestyle fresh out of school: Single, decent job, fun nights out on the town, and plenty of women. In reality it is more like: struggling to stay afloat, boring nights, very few women, and a job I never particularly saw myself doing.

Maybe part of this lifestyle is product of my surroundings: living at home in beautiful, but small, Traverse City. Don't get me wrong, Traverse City is a great area for a high schooler, someone raising a family, and in the Summer it is a great place for anyone. However, aside from a couple of friends and my family, it is not where I want to be.

I talked before about struggling to set meaningful goals and that struggle has subsided a bit. I know I want to get into PT school but I need to pass a couple of courses and take the GRE before I can do that- which will take about another year. I feel like I am halfway through the proverbial tunnel; I can't really see the beginning of the tunnel where I approached days with little goals and a lackluster attitude and I am nowhere close enough to the end to see even a tiny ray of light. I am in the middle of this tunnel. I have chosen to attack it with a smile and a "make it happen" attitude. Rejuvenated with the start of a new year, a vision, and solid goals.

I would love to go back to college and live that lifestyle again and I would love to be living the token bachelor lifestyle, but I am not. I am where I am and I trust that things are going to work out.

No comments: